Here Be Monsters is a Pathfinder RPG monster design contest. The second season began on Thursday, 21 January.
Theme: Hell Breaks LooseThe open call for Here Be Monsters 2 begins! The theme for Season 2 is Hell Breaks Loose. To create a monster appropriate for the theme, you monster should be:
- A denizen of Hell, such as a new type of devil,
- An ally of Hell or its denizens, such as a creature born in an area tainted by devils,
- An enemy of Hell or its denizens, such as an archon that hunts hell hounds, or
- A creature that is otherwise closely connected to Hell.
Publisher: Rogue Genius GamesThe Top 6 entries will be developed and published as a bestiary in the PDF format by Rogue Genius Games! The winner of the contest is offered a contract to write another 2 monsters for a total of 8 monsters published in the bestiary.
Below are some additional details:
- The finalists are required to sign a contract that outlines the terms of using the entries in the bestiary product. 25% of the money earned by Rogue Genius Games from the sales of the bestiary product is split among the authors. Assuming the winner agrees to design additional monsters for the bestiary, his or her share is proportional to the total word count.
- Rogue Genius Games owns the published entries, but they're 100% Open Game Content. The authors are given permission to use the monster art for their personal non-commercial promotion.
- All other entries remain the property of their respective authors, which means you can publish your monster elsewhere if you don't make the Top 6. Only the three contest judges see the entries. The judges reserve the right to publish statistics based on the entries.
- Legendary Games gives each finalist a book of their choice from the Mythic Monsters product series, and the winner gets a signed Mythic Monster Manual.
- Special thanks go to Tommi Salama who designed the Here Be Monsters logo!
How to Submit a Monster
- Download the monster template.
- Read the contest rules & judging criteria, and design a monster that follows the rules and guidelines.
- If you have any questions about the rules or judging criteria, use the form at the bottom of this blog post to leave a comment. We'll answer as soon as we can.
- When you're ready to submit, send your monster via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the monster's name in the subject line of the email. The monster template page contains more information about submitting.