Here Be Monsters is a Pathfinder RPG monster design contest. The second season of the contest begins Thursday, 21 January 2016.
Contest entries must adhere to the following rules.
- Your monster must be 590-610 words. Note that the maximum word limit is almost 100 words fewer than in the previous Here Be Monsters, and this time there is also a minimum word limit. Use your word processor to check your word count.
- Each entrant may submit one monster.
- Your monster must be designed for the Pathfinder RPG, and you must use the monster template.
- Your monster entry must be appropriate for the contest theme "Hell Breaks Loose", which is described in more detail in the contest announcement.
- Your monster may not have class levels or templates.
- Your monster must be setting-neutral.
- Your monster's CR must be at least 1 and may not be higher than 20. Please note that you only have 600 words, and higher-CR monsters may eat up all your words with describing special abilities, which could leave you limited space for describing it.
- Your monster may use feats, spells, and other resources available in Paizo's Pathfinder PRD. Your monster may not, however, have mythic ranks.
- You must submit your monster via email to email@example.com before the deadline 11 February, 2:00 PM PST. Include the monster's name in the subject line of the email.
Additional Judging CriteriaFollowing the guidelines presented below maximizes your chances of winning.
- Your monster's concept is something new and creative or puts an interesting spin on a classic theme.
- Your monster's name and read-aloud text are evocative.
- Your monster's stat block is correctly formatted. Use any recent Pathfinder RPG bestiary product published by Paizo as your style guide.
- Your monster's statistics are balanced against other creatures of the same CR. Refer to the Monster Creation chapter in the Pathfinder RPG Bestiary for instructions.
- Your monster has interesting new special abilities with reasonably simple and elegant mechanics.
- Your monster entry includes compelling lore about the monster which helps GMs use the monster in adventures and campaigns.